Over the past few years, we’ve seen many trends from the 90s and 2000s make a comeback, many thanks to Gen Z and TikTok. From crop tops to low rise jeans, these youngsters have made Y2K fashion cool again, and we’re all for it.
Now, another trend that has gained traction over the years is the skort, with Gen Z everywhere in its athleisure version. But they were invented long before that in the 1890s to help women ride bicycles – of course, they were nothing like the ones we know and love today.
Having had to wear skorts as part of our hockey kit for many years, we’ve always been big fans of the design: it prevents thigh chafing, you don’t have to worry about Marylin Monroe moments, and you can sit as you wish. without being judged.
Of course, the skort is no longer only used to cover the buttocks during sport, it is a fashion item in its own right. They come in two different styles: those that look like a skirt in the front and shorts in the back, and those that look like a skirt but have hidden shorts underneath for comfort.
So now that those skorts are cool again, we’re jumping aboard this summer staple. But with so many choices on offer, we put them to the test to see which ones make the shortlist.
How we tested
We’re somewhere between a UK size 12 and 14, or size medium and large, so all the skirts we’ve tried are one or the other, depending on their fit. We’ve ventured into luxury brands, staples and budget stores to ensure we include something for every budget.
We were also looking for skorts for different occasions – from outdoor adventures and workouts to brunch with the girls and office-appropriate fits. We’ve included regular skorts, sports skorts, and – a category we weren’t familiar with before – skort dresses.
As we know taste is quite personal, we made sure to add many different styles and colors to this roundup. These are the ones that impressed us the most.
The best skorts for 2022 are:
- Best Overall Skort – AllSaints Frida Amanzi linen blend skirt: £59, Allsaints.com
- Best skirt for comfort – Gilly Hicks go energize cross back dress: £26.99, Hollisterco.com
- The best skirt for the whole year – Miss Selfridge floral jacquard skort in gold: £15.25, Asos.com
- Best Sports Skort – Sweaty Betty fast running skort: £65, Sweatybetty.com
- The best skort after swimming – Bila London yellow velvet skirt: £24, Bilalondon.co.uk
- Best side skirt – River Island Gray Side Stripe Skort: £37, riverisland.com
- The best denim skort – Pamela Reformation halter denim mini dress: £180, Thereformation.com
- Best skort for outdoor adventures – Lululemon hotty hot high waisted skirt: £39, Lululemon.co.uk
- The best skort to show off tanned legs – Asos Design cotton poplin wrap skort in faded orange: £20, Asos.com
- The Best Floral Print Skort – AllSaints kasa momo skort: £69, Allsaints.com
- The Best Skort Dress to Show Some Skin – Abercrombie & Fitch Plunging Strap Skort: £59.99, Zalando.co.uk
- Best skort for size inclusive – Girlfriend Collective skort: £55, Thesportsedit.com